If you are on Twitter and have not followed @freefitnessfun yet, what are you waiting for?! A cool new movement to get people excited about leading healthier lifestyles. If you are in Southern California keep an eye peeled for spontaneous workouts that you can get involved in. If you are not in Cali, you can do these workouts wherever you are.
I haven’t posted anything in a while, but I recently found some motivation to share some of my fitness knowledge. The post today focuses on one of my favorite full body exercises, Squats. Today, however, we are going to throw a wrench at you, rather a seat. The whole goal of this exercise is to apply more tension on your quads and glutes. The exercise is simple, but by introducing a seat into the exercise, you’ll find out why many people prefer box squats over traditional squats. There are many benefits of using a seat for your squats, but the most important is safety. When you are performing squats by yourself, this is the best way to do them. Box squats will also improve your strength and power which is significant in improving overall health. Here are the steps to performing a box squat.
1. Find a squat rack equipped with a bar
2. Load a comfortable weight until you get a feel for the exercise motion
3. Get under the bar and unrack the weight
4. Take a step back and literally sit down on the bench or whatever platform you have. make sure your legs have 90 degree angle while sitting.
5. Explode up in one quick motion. It is important to note that it must be a fluid motion, or else it will not be as effective
Beta Alanine. I have to apologize in advance of this post for not making enough time to post regularly. Today’s post is highlighting a new supplement I have been incorporating into my life. The product is Prolab’s ‘Beta Alanine Extreme.’ Basically it is a beta alanine and amino acid blend created to delay muscle fatigue. The product 100% works. I am very skeptical of many products, but I received this product free and gave it a try. My workout sessions are incredible because I simply do not get tired. The product acts as an aid to prevent lactic acid buildup which can hinder workouts. Beta Alanine is also good for stamina and prevents muscle soreness. The product comes in a pill form that you are supposed to take four times a day. I only take two pills a day in the morning, just imagine if I took the recommended eight pills a day! I recommend this product over any pre-workout or energy drinks because it is a gradual increase of energy that does not hit you all at once. After a set of lifting heavily, you are ready for the next set within fifteen seconds. So if you get a chance, go out and try this product, you will feel the difference.
Jump Rope! Jumping rope is a simple cardio exercise that has many different health benefits. Most people may think they are not coordinated enough to do this exercise, but with a little practice, you can start to reap all the benefits of this exercise. You can do different things like interval times and things like that, but I personally jump rope until I build up a good sweat. One thing I have found that helps me out in my health is jumping while I hold my breath. After jumping rope, my runs are always really good. I went through many websites and blogs and these three benefits seem to be the most common among athletes and doctors.
1. Better Cardiovascular Fitness, jumping rope is considered one of the best cardio exercises because it is low impact on your knees. This exercise increases the blood flow throughout your body, which means it is good for your heart.
2. Muscle Tone, I always think of cardio as water that people use when sculpting clay. It is essential in order for you to sculpt a body that you want. Because jumping rope is such a good cardio exercise, it will tone your muscles very quickly.
3. Weight Loss, many people experience great weight loss jumping rope. You may wonder, How much weight can you possibly lose jumping up and down in place? The answer is a lot. If you are a beginner, and don’t have good running form, jump rope is perfect for you. Jumping rope for thirty minutes will stimulate great weight loss.
Workout Sonf of The Day: What I Do by Machine Gun Kelly ft Bun B and Dubo
Recently I had the opportunity to meet an amazing person by the name of Greg Plitt. For those who don’t know, Greg Plitt is one of the world’s top fitness models, by far. This guy puts in so much hard work in the gym and when I’m feeling down, I watch some of his videos to find motivation. Let me tell you, this guy’s intensity and love for fitness shows when just having a regular conversation with him. When I talked with him I just let him know that he pushes me to be great in the gym everyday and that I love his ‘quotivations.’ While he was signing his autograph I let him know that I wanted him to sign something that I wear to the gym a lot. I was thinking my shoes or socks, but that would wear off easily. When I couldn’t decide Mr. Plitt took off his armband and signed it for me. I wore the armband the following Monday to the gym, and had an amazing workout. I joked with friends saying the band gave me super human strength, but the band did serve a great purpose. Every so often I’d look at the band and it reminded me that when I was feeling tired, Greg Plitt wold be going even harder. So when I thought I was fatigued I kept going because I thought to myself, “What would Plitt do in this situation?”
Lat Pulldown! Since today is my Birthday I’ve decided to provide you guys with my favorite exercise of all time, the Lat Pulldown. I have always gravitated towards this machine, and unwaveringly start my week by hitting my back. The exercise is simple once you get the hang of it. Not only does this exercise work your lat muscles, but your biceps, shoulders, forearms, triceps, and your legs if you are doing it right. The whole idea of the exercise is to mimic a pullup. In essence it is a pullup but it isolates different muscles because your lower body is stable. I am very proud of my back and lats because they are so strong and look very defined. I attribute this solely to this exercise. I’m going to have fun punishing my lats today :) Here are the steps:
1. Sit in the seat provided on the machine, remember to keep your back straight through the whole exercise
2. Grab the bar with palms facing outwards, just wider than your shoulders
3. Pull down the weight at a controlled and steady pace
4. Allow the bar to ascend, but not all the way back to the starting position, CONTROL THE WEIGHT
5. Do 8-12 reps for four sets
Note: Do not try too much weight, if you find yourself yanking the bar down using your whole body, decrease the weight.
Workout Song of The Day: If You Can’t Ride Two Horses At Once…You Should Get Out Of The Circus by Asking Alexandria
Kale! Kale is an edible plant in the mustard family,having spreading crinkled leaves that do not form a compact head. (thefreedictionary.com) There has been a buzz as of late about this food called kale. To me it looks like a cross between lettuce and broccoli. I decided to buy some two weeks ago to see what the craze was all about. I cannot speak for anyone else, but personally, kale has given me more energy and helped my digestion a ton. Here are some benefits of kale that I have seen from various blogs and such.
1. Kale has 0g of fat and 5g of fiber
2. Kale is packed with antioxidants which aid in the prevention of sickness
3. Full of calcium. Kale has the same amount, if not, more calcium than milk. Calcium is great for your bones as well as many other benefits
4. Vitamin A, which is good for vision, skin, and a boat load of other things
5. Eating kale can lower cholesterol
6. Anti-Inflammatory, kale gives you a good source of omega 3 fatty acids which help fight against things like arthritis and asthma
There are more benefits of Kale, but I felt like these were the most important. So go out today and try some kale. As far as preparing Kale, I eat it raw, but there are recipes out there.
Shoulders, Front Raise! Shoulders are very important on your quest to become more fit. Strong shoulders will help you in almost every other exercise you attempt. One thing to note about shoulder exercise, do not try to use too much weight, or you will surely injure yourself. Keep the weight light, and this goes for men and women. The shoulders have three heads; front, rear, and deltoid, and this exercise hits all three at the time. Personally, this is my favorite shoulder exercise. It will help you perform more pull ups mentioned in the last article. They are not only important for strength, but a nice set of toned shoulder will look good on anyone. Here are the steps:
1. Position your feet shoulder width apart
2. Grab a pair of dumbbells and hold them in front of you with your palms facing your body
3. Raise one dumbbell up until your arm is parallel with the floor and at eye level
4. Repeat with the other arm
5. Alternate between arms for ten reps each for three sets
Workout Song of The Day: The Last Song by Yelawolf
Note: The range of motion will be limited for men due to the volume and size of your muscles in your arms. Women will be able to raise their arms higher. Also, do not use dumbbells over 30lbs, unless you are a pro bodybuilder, you will injure yourself
Back, Pull-Ups! The back is comprised of many complex muscles, yet many people neglect it. You have your lats, upper back, lower back, and numerous muscles in between. One way to give your back proper attention is by doing pull ups. There is nothing better than seeing women in the gym doing pull ups putting on display that sexy back. Contrarily, it is sickening when I see dudes with big chests and arms and cannot complete 3 pull ups. Pull ups really force your lats to work along with your biceps and triceps. Whether you are looking to get toned or build muscle, the exercise is good for both, you just have to adjust your reps and sets according to your goals. Also, most gyms have machines that will assist you in pull ups and dips as you are just starting out. The picture I have provided today may be the most technical yet, but I thought it did a good job of highlighting the muscles you are hitting. The exercise is pretty straightforward but here are the steps anyway:
1. Locate a bar high enough to lift your whole body off the ground
2. Place your hands with your palms facing forward shoulder width apart
3. PULL UP!
Workout Song Of The Day: POWER by Kanye West
Cardio, 45 Minute Tummy Eliminator! I have been under the weather the past couple days, but that has not stopped me from getting my workouts in. The workouts have definitely been harder, but the way I look at it, when I’m healthy again the workouts will be easier. Today I will be providing a customized walking circuit for the treadmill. I learned it from a trainer buddy, and tailored it every week until I started getting the results I wanted. I can tell you from experience that it works because I lost alot of weight doing it, in fact, too much weight for my taste. Yes, I was cut up, but I lost alot of strength, so now I do this program every now and then. Myself and the trainer dubbed this circuit the ‘45 Minute Tummy Eliminator.’ There really is no excuse for anyone not to do this because you are literally walking the whole time. You will be sweating more than people sprinting on the treadmill and those hunchbacks on the StairMaster. Here is the ‘45 Minute Tummy Eliminator’:
1. Warm up on the treadmill for 2 minutes by walking at a pace between 1.8 - 2.2
2. Increase the pace between 2.0 - 2.2. At the same time increase the incline between 5.0 - 7.0
3. Every 2 minutes increase the pace and incline by two button presses until you get to 3.8 - 4.0 on the pace and maximum incline
4. Once you reach these limits go back down to 2.0 pace and 5.0 incline and start all over
5. Repeat this circuit for 30 - 45 minutes
Note: I cannot stress the enough the fact that you will sweat an insane amount, so bring a towel or get on a treadmill away from other people so you don’t sweat on them :)
Workout Song of The Day: Father Time by Lloyd Banks
Full Body, Step Ups! I’ve been lagging it on my post of new exercises. I really don’t have an excuse except I have no AC in my house so that gives me a reason to stay in the gym longer. When I’m finally done with my workout, I am beat. But I promise to posts more regular. Yesterday was my leg day, which is one of my favorite body parts to train. My glutes and hamstrings are very sore due to this one exercise I did extra sets of. The exercise is called step ups. It is great for your legs as a whole, and when you do them you can feel the burn throughout your legs. Not only is it great for your legs, but it is truly a full body workout. The exercise is simple once you practice it a few times. The movement involves doing exactly what the name is, stepping up. Here are the steps:
1. Stand facing a flat bench or platform (for added difficulty you can grab two dumbbells)
2. Place your first foot on the bench or platform, stand by extending your hips and knees (mimic walking up stairs)
3. Step down returning to your original position
4. Repeat the movement for 10 reps on each leg for 4 sets
Workout Song of The Day: ‘Broken Vs. The Way We Were Born’ by Emarosa